Friday 25 April 2008

Is this the new storytelling?

'Traditional Tales with a triple twist' - sounds a bit like an alcopop to me... Is this the future of storytelling?


"Incorporating Greek myths and Russian folktales this unique fusion of a capella harmonies, poetic storytelling and an interactive physical style guarantees a spine-tingling energy through sound and song." Annamation
Well, I don't know anything about this production but I would be slightly wary of the claim of 'storytelling'. I don't doubt that traditional tales are used but, at the risk of sounding like a decrepit stuck-in-the-mud, it strikes me that it's more like a show, a theatre production.
I saw Xanthe perform Aphrodite and the Real Red Shoes a few months ago, and whilst fascinating and sometime engaging I would never have thought to label it 'storytelling'.

To me (and I'm well aware that this is just a personal definition) there are some qualities that characterise a storytelling experience. Time, location and atmosphere are key.
  1. Time - by that I mean pace. Because the audience listeners are seeing the story in their mind, the storyteller can afford to take time. Pauses are natural in traditional storytelling, they allow the listener to savour the moment and build or release tension.
  2. Location - the most effective storytelling I've been privileged to hear haven't been near a stage. Part of the charm of storytelling is the lack of stage and the small intimate settings of a pub or cafe. The listener is drawn into the storyteller's world, as the storyteller is physically sharing the same space. Boundaries between teller and listener are blurred.
  3. Atmosphere - goes hand in hand with some of the location comments. A participative, collaborative atmosphere is conducive to story sharing.
So, to sum up, I think it's a lot more than the stories which characterise oral 'storytelling'. I suppose Annamation are claiming to be something different than traditional storytelling but there is a lot of emphasis on 'storytelling' in their website.

Finally, if there was a performance near me I would be going to see the show!

No comments: