Saturday 1 August 2009

Storytelling Traits

I've been thinking a lot about how to characterise and define storytelling. I know it's always going to be a contentious issue and a lot depends on what your personal idea of storytelling is, but I've listed what I think below.

Please let me know if you agree or disagree with them. Perhaps I have missed something out, or one of the characteristics shouldn't be there?

N.B. A word of context first - this list was created on the basis of observing storytelling in Scotland (mainly through storytelling clubs). I'm hesitant to use the term 'traditional storytelling' as it is a continuing contemporary art form.

Here goes:
  1. Diversity of stories and storytelling styles
  2. Collective memory - shared memory of stories throughout storytelling communities
  3. Performance - formalised event (different from normal conversation, even if it is impromptu)
  4. Liveness - real-time event, not generally recorded
  5. Physical presence of teller, eye-contact
  6. Voice - as a tool for characters, emotion, suspense etc
  7. Gesture and body language
  8. Engagement of imagination - of both listener and teller
  9. Connection between story, teller and listener - emotional, personal, group
  10. Desire by teller and group to share stories
All thoughts welcome!

No comments: